History of Essex Freemasonry

Organised Freemasonry, as we know it today, began with the founding of the first Grand Lodge on 24 June 1717 at the Goose and Gridiron Ale House in St Paul's Churchyard.

(January) Foundation Stone of New Masonic Hall, Hornchurch, laid by W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, PGD.

1776 Till 1795.

RW.Bro. Thomas Fitzgeorge Dunkerley, the originator of Provincial Grand Lodges, Provincial Grand Master for Essex. This Brother played a very conspicuous part in the history of Freemasonry, and is believed to have aided in reconstructing and modernizing the lectures and ritual. In 1776 he represented the Province of Essex at the dedication of Freemasons’ Hall, London, and in 1777, with a view to promoting the Craft in those Counties, he was appointed Provincial Grand Master of Dorset, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Somersetshire, Southampton and the Isle of Wight, and Grand Superintendent of the same Provinces; and also of Kent, Nottingham, Surrey, Suffolk, Sussex and Warwick, still retaining his connection with Essex.

1776.

Freemasons’ Hall, London, dedicated by Lord Petre.

1788.

Royal Masonic Institution for Girls founded.

1796.

W. Bro. George Downing appointed Provincial Grand Master of Essex in succession to the late R. W. Bro. Thomas Dunckerley.

1798.

Royal Masonic Institution for Boys founded.

1801.

W. Bro. William Wix appointed Provincial Grand Master on the death of R.W. Bro. George Downing.

1813.

United Grand Lodge of England constituted.

1824.

W. Bro. W. P. Honywood, M.P., appointed Provincial Grand Master.

1836.

Foundation Stone of the Church of St. Botolph, Colchester, laid with Masonic Ceremonial by the Master of the Angel Lodge, No.51, W. Bro. H. Clift.

1837.

(October 10) R.W. Bro. Rowland Alston installed at Colchester as Provincial Grand Master.

1842.

Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution founded.

1843.

Foundation Stone of Colchester Town Hall laid with full Masonic ceremonial by the Master of the Angel Lodge , No. 51, W. Bro. John Pattison.

1846.

(June 24) W. Bro. George Robert Rowe, M.D., P.G.D., installed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master at Chelmsford. At the same meeting it was agreed that a suitable expression of thanks to the Provincial Grand Master, R.W. Bro. Rowland Alston, for his eminent services to the Provincial Grand Lodge, be engrossed on vellum and presented to him by a deputation of Provincial Grand Officers.

1847.

At a Provincial Grand Lodge held at Romford, 9th June, it was decided to present a silver cup to the R. W. Pro. G.M. instead of a resolution engrossed on vellum as being of a more durable character and one that may remain in his family as a memorial of the esteem and attachment of his Province.

1853.

Foundation Stone of the Church of St. Mary Magdalen, Colchester, laid with Masonic ceremonial by the Provincial Grand Master, R. W. Bro. Rowland Alston.

1855.

W. Bro. Robert J. Bagshaw, installed Provincial Grand Master at Chelmsford (May 17th) by Lord Yarborough, D.G.M., RW.Bro. Rowland Alston having retired on account of ill-health.

1857.

Grand Mark Lodge constituted.

1877.

The Albert Edward Lifeboat launched with Masonic ceremonial at Clacton-on-Sea by Lord Skelmersdale, Prov. Grand Master. The Albert Edward was one of two Lifeboats presented to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution by the Grand Lodge of England as a thanks-offering for the safe return of the Grand Master H.R.H. the Prince of Wales (afterwards King Edward VII) from a tour in India. W.Bros. Thos. J. Ralling appointed Provincial Grand Secretary in succession to W. Bro. John Wright Carr, deceased.

1879.

Right Hon. Lord Tenterden, K.C.B., appointed Provincial Grand Master on the death of R. W. Bro. Robert J. Bagshaw.

1882.

Lord Tenterden, K. C. B., Provincial Grand Master, died.

1883.

Lord Brooke, afterwards Earl of Warwick, installed as Provincial Grand Master at Colchester, 2nd February, by H. R. H. the Duke of Albany, K.G.

1891.

Right Hon. the Earl of Lathom appointed Pro Grand Master. Colonel Shadwell Clerke, Grand Secretary died.

1892.

V. W. Bro. Sir Edward Letchworth appointed and invested as Grand Secretary.

1893.

95th Festival Royal Masonic Institution for Boys at Brighton, Lord Brooke, afterwards Earl of Warwick, in the chair. There were 51 Stewards from the Province of Essex and their total collection amounted to £2,235. Presentation on behalf of the Province, at the annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge at Southend, to W. Bro. Albert Lucking, in acknowledgement of his twenty years’ devoted service as Director of Ceremonies of the Province. Lord Brooke succeeded to the Earldom of Warwick on the death of his father. First stone of the Masonic Temple at Kelvedon laid by W.Bro. Sir W. N. Abdy, Bart.

1895.

Dedication by the Earl of Warwick of the Masonic Temple, Kelvedon.

1896.

Centenary of the Hope and Unity Lodge, No. 214 celebrated at the Royal Forest Hotel, Chingford, by dispensation.

1897.

Masonic Hall, Braintree, dedicated by W.Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, PAGDC, ProvGSec.

1898.

Presentation at Brentwood of a valedictory address to His Honour Judge Philbrick, Q.C., on his resignation of the post of Deputy Provincial Grand Master, held since 1880. Presentation on the same occasion of an illuminated address and cheque for £250 to W. Bro. Thomas J. Ralling on his investiture for the twenty-second year as Provincial Grand Secretary. Colonel Lockwood, M.P. (later Lord Lambourne), appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master. Death of R. W. Bro. Right Hon. the Earl of Lathom, Pro. G. M. Earl Amherst appointed Pro Grand Master.

1899.

The Earl of Warwick inducted as Deputy Grand Master by Earl Amherst, Pro. Grand Master.

Constitution at Colchester of the Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. The Earl of Warwick installed as first Provincial Grand Master by the Earl of Euston, Pro. G. M. Colonel Lockwood, M.P., appointed first Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

1901.

Fifty-ninth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution, presided over by the Earl of Warwick, D.G.M., Provincial Grand Master. There were 102 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £4,000. Reception of Essex Brethren and their wives and daughters, over 400 in number, at Warwick Castle, by the Earl and Countess of Warwick.

1902.

The Earl of Warwick announced by letter to the Lodges his resignation of the office of Provincial Grand Master. Colonel the Rt. Hon. Mark Lockwood, M.P., installed by the Earl of Warwick, D.G.M., as Provincial Grand Master, at the annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge at Chelmsford (July 29). W. Bro. Claude E. Egerton-Green appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

Masonic Hall, Colchester, dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

1903.

The Earl of Warwick resigned his post of Deputy Grand Master. Portrait of himself presented to the Earl of Warwick by the Province. Earl of Warwick, as Lord-Lieutenant, laid with Masonic ceremonial the foundation stone of an extension to St. Augustine’s Church, Dovercourt.

1904.

Queen Victoria Memorial at Dovercourt unveiled by the Earl of Warwick.

1904.

W. Bro. Claude E. Egerton-Green, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, died suddenly whilst cycling.

1905.

W. Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., P.G.D., installed by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W. Bro. Albert Lucking, for thirty years Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies, died.

1905.

His Majesty King Edward VII, entertained by Colonel Lockwood, Prov. G.M., at Bishop’s Hall, Romford, on which occasion His Majesty conferred upon him the honour of Commander of the Victorian Order.

1905.

Colonel Lockwood appointed a Privy Councillor by His Majesty King Edward VII.

Hundred and Seventeenth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls, Colonel Lockwood, Provincial Grand Master, presiding. There were 162 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £5,250.

1906.

W. Bro. J.H. Salter, P.G.D., DProvGM., laid the foundation stone of St. Mary Magdalen Parish Hall, Colchester, and on the same day dedicated the organ erected in the Masonic Hall, Colchester, as a memorial to the late W. Bro. Claude E, Egerton-Green, Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

1907.

New Masonic Halls at Brightlingsea and at Harwich dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., Prov. G.M.

Corner Stone of the new Children’s Wing at the Essex County Hospital, Colchester, laid by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

1908.

Earl Amherst resigned the Pro Grand Mastership of England. Lord Ampthill installed as Pro Grand Master. Masonic Hall, Frinton-on-Sea, dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM.

1910.

Masonic Hall, Loughton, dedicated by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM. Corner Stone of St. Saviour’s Church, Westcliff, laid by Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM. Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held on board the R.M.S. Orvieto, at Tilbury Dock. Sixty-eighth Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution, Colonel Lockwood, M.P., PGM., presiding. There were 336 Stewards from the Province of Essex, and their total collection amounted to £7,053.

His Honour Judge Philbrick, K.C., Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Masons of Essex, died (December 25th).

1911.

Colonel Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., C.B., M.P., appointed and installed as Grand Superintendent of Essex R.A.S. Masons in succession to the late Judge Philbrick, K.C.

1911.

W. Bro. Thomas J. Ralling, Provincial Grand Secretary, presented at Harlow with a silver rose bowl and a cheque for 500 guineas, on his appointment for the thirty-fifth time Grand Secretary at the Provincial Grand Lodge. Masonic Hall at Wivenhoe opened.

1913.

The Portrait of the late Judge Philbrick, painted by Mr. Frank Daniell, of Colchester, and presented by the Royal Arch Masons of Essex to Freemasons’ Hall, London, as a Memorial of the eminent services rendered to the Order by His Honour as Grand Superintendent for 27 years, unveiled at Freemasons’ Hall, London, by Col. Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., C.B., M.P., G. Supt.

1916.

(June 21st) Colonel Lockwood, M.P., presided at the 118th festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, when £35.041 was subscribed. There were 383 stewards from Essex, who brought up £7,140.14s. The rank of P.J.G.D., conferred upon W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, P.A.G.D.C., on completing 40 years’ service as Provincial Grand Secretary.

(August) Freemasons’ War Hospital (became Freemasons’ Hospital and Nursing Home), Fulham Road, opened.

1917.

(May 31st) Colonel Lockwood, M.P., R.W. PGM., and Mrs. Lockwood, accompanied by several Provincial Grand Officers visited the Freemasons’ War Hospital, Fulham Road, S.W.

(June 4) A Barony conferred on Colonel Lockwood, RW.PGM., by H.M. the King. The Colonel assumed the title of Baron Lambourne of Lambourne, in the County of Essex.

1918.

(May 29th) Presentation by the Province of Essex to Col. the Right Hon. Lord Lambourne, P.C., C.V.O., of a beautiful silver model of his Lordship’s crest, a ship in full sail, in commemoration of his elevation to the peerage by His Majesty the King in recognition of his long and faithful public service. Presentation at the same time to Lady Lambourne of an anchor brooch set with diamonds.

1919.

(June 27th) Celebration of Peace at an Especial Grand Lodge at the Royal Albert Hall.

1920.

(May 27th) Memorial Stone of an extension to the Church of St. Mary Magdalen, Colchester, laid with Masonic Ceremonial by W.Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., P.G.D., Deputy Provincial Grand Master, in the presence of a large gathering of Freemasons.

(November 13th) Dedication by W.Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, PGD, Provincial Grand Secretary, of a Masonic Hall at Hornchurch.

(November 25th) Presentation by the members of the Easterford Lodge, No. 2342, of a handsome illuminated address to W. Bro. John Henry Salter, J.P., PGD, DL, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Past Master of the Lodge, one of its founders, its second Master 1891, and Master again both in 1914 and 1919.

1921.

(May 31st) Presentation of his portrait in oils (by Mr. Frank Daniell) to W. Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, P.G.D., Prov. G. Sec., by the members of the Angel Lodge, No. 51, in commemoration of his investiture as Secretary of his mother Lodge for the fiftieth time on 26th October, 1920.

1923.

(June) Lord Lambourne, P.C.,C.V.O., R.W. ProvGM., presided at the 125th Festival of the R.M. Inst. for Boys, when £85,033 was subscribed, £20,000 being from the Province of Essex.

1924.

 

(January) Foundation Stone of New Masonic Hall, Hornchurch, laid by W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, PGD.

 

(April 5th) W. Bro. Thos. J. Ralling, P.G.D., the highly esteemed and respected Provincial Grand Secretary, died after serving the Province 47 years in that capacity.

(May) Masonic Hall, Hornchurch, Consecrated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, Lord Lambourne.

(May 28th) R.W. Bro. Col. A. J. Hanslip Ward, M.B.E., V.D.,D.L., P.G.OV., installed as Provincial Grand Master of Mark Master Masons by the Lord Aldenham. Deputy Grand Master, V.W. Bro. Walter Lawrence, P.G.OV., G.I.Wks., appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

(July 9th) W. Bro. Brig-Gen. Richard Beale Colvin, C.B., P.P.G.W., appointed and invested as the first Assist. Prov. Grand Master at Provincial Grand Lodge held at Southend-on-Sea, and W.Bro. Herbert Joseph Goodwin, P.M., of Lodge No.2318, invested as Provincial Grand Secretary.

1925. (August 8th) Grand Festival for the Masonic Million Memorial Fund at Olympia, London, under the presidency of H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught, M.W.G.M., who announced that in response to his appeal more than £800,000 had been promised. Of this amount £20,400 was from the Province of Essex. 8,000 brethren attended the Festival.

 

(December 10th) Unveiling of the Memorial in Colchester Cemetery to the late W. Bro. T. J. Ralling, formerly Provincial Grand Secretary, by the R.W. PGM.

1926.

(January 6th) New Masonic Hall, Hutton, dedicated by the R.W. PGM.

(April 28th) W. Bro. Sir Frederick Halsey, P.C., retired from the office of Deputy Grand Master of England after holding the appointment for 23 years, and was succeeded by R.W. Bro. Col. F.S.W. Cornwallis, C.B.E., Pro. G.M., of Kent.

(July 15th) 150th Anniversary of Provincial Grand Lodge of Essex, held at Bishop’s Hall, Romford, the home of the R.W. PGM., when about 1,650 brethren were in attendance. To mark the occasion a cheque for £1,500 was presented to Lord Lambourne, who handed it to one of the Joint Hon. Secretaries of Freemasons’ Hospital. This presentation has since been commemorated in the single-bedded Wards “The Lambourne Ward.

1927.

(June 3rd) Lord Lambourne, P.C., R.W. PGM., had conferred upon him by H.M. the King the distinction of Knight Grand Cross of the Victorian Order.

(November 10th) New Masonic Hall, Saffron Walden, dedicated by Dr. J.H. Salter, Deputy Prov. Grand Master. Foundation Stone laid to the extension of St. Lawrence Church, Upminster, by Dr. J.H. Salter, deputising for Lord Lambourne, who was indisposed.

1928.

(December 26th) Lord Lambourne, our beloved R.W. PGM., died at Bishop’s Hall, and was buried in Lambourne Churchyard on 31st December.

1929.

(April 23rd) R.W. Bro. Brig.-Gen. R. Beale Colvin, C.B., Lord Lieut. for the County, was installed as Prov. Grand Master at Freemasons’ Hall, London, W.C.2., by the M.W. Pro. Grand Master the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill. W.Bro. Dr. J.H. Salter, J.P., D.L., was re-appointed Dep. Prov. G. Master and V.W. Bro. Sir Harry Goschen, Bart, was appointed Asst. Prov. Grand Master.

(May 8th) Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls presided over by our R.W. Prov. Grand Master. Over £77,000 was subscribed, of this more than £31,000 was contributed by this Province.

(May 18th) Foundation Stone of the extension to the Forest Hospital at Buckhurst Hill was laid by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master. The Masonic Lodges and Chapters meeting at Loughton, Chingford and Buckhurst Hill provided £2,000 towards the cost of the new building.

1930.

(May 24th) R.W.. Prov. G. Master was invested as Senior Grand Warden of the Prov. Grand Lodge of Essex Mark Master Masons. W.Bro. Arthur J. O. Turner, P.G.D., was appointed Dep. Prov. G. Master in succession to V.W. Bro. W. Lawrence who had retired from the position on account of ill-health.

(June 3rd) R.W. Prov. G. Master was invested as Senior Grand Warden of England in Mark Grand Lodge.

(July 17th) Provincial Grand Lodge met at Monkhams, the home of the R.W. ProvGMaster, who there presented to the Province a beautiful new set of Consecrating Vessels. On the same day, to commemorate the occasion, three acacia trees were planted, one by Lady Gwendoline Colvin, one by her brother, the Earl of Stradbroke, R.W. Prov. G. Master of Suffolk, and one by Col. R.F. Boileau, RW. ProvGMaster of Norfolk.

(October 11th) The R.W. Prov. G. Master laid the Foundation Stone with Masonic Ceremonial, of the Masonic Hall at Chingford.

(November 4th) The new Masonic Temple at Chelmsford was dedicated by the R.W. Prov. G. Master.

1931.

(February 14th) The new Temple at Chingford was dedicated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(May 31st) The memorial erected in the Essex Regimental Chapel, Great Warley, to the memory of the late Lord Lambourne, RW. ProvGMaster for 26 years, and to the brethren of Essex Lodges who fell in the Great War, was unveiled by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master. The dedication service was conducted by the Prov. G. Chaplain, W. Bro. Rev. A. W. M. Weatherley, M.A.

(July 14th) Dr. J.H. Salter, J.P., D.L., Dep. Prov. G. Master attained his 90th birthday; the Easterford Lodge, No. 2342, of which he was Founder, had been Master twice, and Treasurer for 36 years, held its July meeting on this date b dispensation. The members assembled at the Temple, at Kelvedon, and then journeyed to Tolleshunt D’Arcy where Dr. Salter received them. The Master, on behalf of the Lodge, presented the Dep. Pro. G. Master with a handsome silver Rose Bowl to commemorate the occasion. W. Bro. Col. H. W. Burton. M.P., P.P.G.W., the Prov. G. Secretary, the Prov. G.D.C. and the Dep. Prov. GD.C., as a deputation from Prov. Grand Lodge, presented Dr. Salter with an illuminated address, in book form, the pages of which had been signed by the Master, Wardens, Secretary and Treasurer of every Lodge in the Province.

1932.

(April 17th) The Dep. PGM., W. Bro. Dr. John Henry Salter, J.P., D.L., P.G.D., died at Tolleshunt D’Arcy, aged 90, and was buried in the local churchyard on April 21st. He had completed 27 years of service as D.P.G.M.

(July 7th) V.W. Bro. Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., PGTreas, appointed as Dep. PGM., Sir Frederic Senier, P.P.G.W., appointed and invested as Assistant PGM., at Southend-on-Sea.

(October 1st) The Colvin Lodge, No. 5374, named after the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, was Consecrated in St. Osyth’s Priory, by kind permission of Brig. Gen. R.B. Colvin, being conducted by the Prov. Grand Secretary. Prior to this Ceremony, the ProvGMaster obligated and invested Sir Harry Goschen as Deputy Prov. Grand Master.

1933.

(July 14th) The Foundation Stone of the new Masonic Hall at Braintree was laid by the Assistant Prov. Grand Master, Sir Frederic Senier, the R.W. Prov. Grand Master and the Dep. Prov. Grand Master being absent on account of illness. The Salter Memorial Room, attached to the Masonic Hall at Kelvedon, was dedicated this day by the Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

1934.

(April 21st) The Howard Masonic Hall, Braintree, dedicated by Sir Frederic Senier, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, in the absence of the R.W. Prov. Grand Master owing to indisposition.

(June 26th) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master Brig.-Gen. R. Beale Colvin, C.B., invested by His Majesty the King at Buckingham Palace as Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath.

(July 28th) The Foundation Stone of the Lord Lambourne Masonic Hall, Romford, was laid by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(No.. 9) The Essex First Principals Chapter No. 3256 (the first Chapter of its character) was consecrated by the Pro First Grand Principal, the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill. Our Grand Supt., Sir T. Courtenay Warner, Bart., was installed as Z., Dr. F. Douglas Turner as H. and the Rev. F. E. Crate as J. The Founders numbered 105. At this meeting Sir Courtenay Warner was presented with his portrait, which had been painted by Mr. J. Crealock, as a token of affection and esteem from the members of all the Chapters in the Province and in recognition of his 23 years’ service as Grand Superintendent.

(December 15th) Our beloved Grand Supt. Sir Courtenay Warner, Bart., died in London following a few days’ illness; he was buried at Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, on December 19th.

1935.

(May 21st) St. Osyth’s Priory Lodge, No. 2063, celebrated its Jubilee with a meeting at the Priory (by kind permission of the Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid Smith). At this meeting our R.W. Prov. Grand Master read a very interesting paper in reference to previous owners of the Priory who had served the office of Lord Lieutenant and Custos Rotulorum.

(May 30th) Dr. F. Douglas Turner, our highly esteemed Prov. Second Grand Principal was installed as Grand Supt. by the Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill, Pro First Grand Principal.

(July 7th) The Rt. Hon. Lord Ampthill died following a few days’ illness.

(September 28th) The Lord Lambourne Masonic Hall situated in Western Road, Romford, was dedicated by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. Sir Richard Colvin, K.C.B.

(November 25th) The oldest Lodge, Angel, No. 51, celebrated its Bi- Centenary. The meeting was held in the Moot Hall, Colchester, at which there were present; the R.W. Provincial Grand Master, The Earl of Courtown S.G.W., the President of the Board of General Purposes, and the Grand Director of Ceremonies. W.Bro. J. E. Cheese, P.P.G.W., Master of the Lodge, presided.

(December 20th) Owing to continued ill-health, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., K.B.E., tendered his resignation.

1936.

(January 10th) The R. W. Provincial Grand Master appointed Sir Frederic Senier, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Sir Harry Goschen.

(January 17th) Our greatly esteemed R. W. Provincial Grand Master, Brig.- Gen. Sir Richard Colvin, K.C.B., died at his home, Monkhams, Waltham Abbey, and was buried in the family vault at Cheshunt, on the 22nd January.

(March 16th) Brig.-Gen. K. J. Kincaid Smith, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O., was appointed by the M.W. Grand Master to succeed the late Sir Richard Colvin as R.W. Provincial Grand Master.

(June 24th) Brig.-Gen. K. J. Kincaid Smith, C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. installed as R.W. Provincial Grand Master by the Pro Grand Master, Rt. Hon. Earl of Harewood, at a meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held in Freemasons’ Hall, Gt. Queen Street, W.C.2. The R.W. Provincial Grand Master re-appointed Sir Frederic Senier as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and Lt. Col. A. Butler Harris, MA, DL, PGD., as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(August 4th) The Assistant Provincial Grand Master, Dr. A. Butler Harris, died very suddenly at Loughton, aged 72 years.

(September 30th) Colonel J.L. French, D.L., PPGW, was obligated and invested Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Installation Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, at Freemasons’ Hall, W.C.2.

1937.

(June 19th) The Foundation Stone of the Colvin Masonic Memorial Temple, at Clacton-on-Sea, was laid by the R.W. Pro. Grand Master. At the same time Bro. Capt. R.B.R. Colvin laid a Memorial Stone on the opposite side of the entrance to the building. Lady Gwendoline Colvin and other members of the late Brig.-Gen. Colvin’s family were also present.

The King was invested as Past Grand Master by the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood. The King afterwards occupied the Throne and invested the brethren who had received preferment in Grand Lodge, among whom was the Prov. Grand Secretary, W. Bro. Herbert J. Goodwin, who was promoted from PAGDC, to PGD.

(October 27th) The Colvin Masonic Memorial Temple, at Clacton-on-Sea, was dedicated by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master.

(December 18th) The one hundred and fortieth Lodge in the Province, the Royal Forest, No. 5705, was consecrated by the RW. Provincial Grand Master. This entitled him to appoint an additional Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1938.

(January 27th) W. Bro. F. J. Jackson, JP, PPGW, was appointed, invested and proclaimed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at the Installation meeting of the Hope and Unity Lodge, No. 214, of which he is a Past Master.

(March 3rd) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master was exalted into Royal Arch Masonry, in the Coronation Chapter, No. 2063 at Clacton-on-Sea, the Ceremony being performed by the Grand Superintendent, assisted by the Officers of Provincial Grand Chapter.

(August 18th) Colonel A.J. Hanslip Ward, R.W. Prov. Grand Mark Master of the Province, died at his home, The Gables, Dovercourt.

(September 22nd) The Chigwell Lodge, No. 453, celebrated its Centenary. A special meeting of the Lodge, in honour of the occasion, was held at Freemasons’ Hall, London, W.C.2., which was attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, the Deputy Prov. Grand Master, the two Assistant Prov. Grand Masters, and a number of the principal officers of the year.

(November 29th) Major A. J. O. Turner was installed R.W. Prov. Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province at Mark Masons’ Hall, the ceremony being performed by the M.W. Pro, Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Stradbroke. Major Arthur Turner appointed W. Bro. W. H. Hyde, P.G. Ov., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and W. Bro. J. G. Freeman, P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W., as Provincial Grand Secretary.

1939.

(February 23rd) The R.W. Pro. Grand Master presided at the Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution. The total amount subscribed was over £110,000 of which £55,000 was contributed by the Province; this being one of the largest amounts ever subscribed to the Festival of this Institution by a single Province.

(July 19th) H.R.H. The Duke of Kent, K.G., installed as M.W. Grand Master by H.M. King George VI, P.G.M., at Olympia, London, S.W., 12,000 brethren attended and the Province provided many special Stewards for the occasion. W. Bros. Sir John Niven, P.G.D., and J.W. Privett, PGStB., were among those who received preferment to celebrate this event.

1942.

(October 13th) W. Bro. Herbert J. Goodwin, P.G.D., highly esteemed Prov. Grand Secretary who held that office for 19 years, died at the Royal Masonic Hospital after a short illness.

(December 23rd) W. Bro. A. A. W. Simmonds, P.M. Lodge No. 3147, appointed Prov. Grand Secretary in an honorary capacity, and W.Bro. A. Warriner, P.M. Lodge No. 4785, appointed Prov. Asst. Grand Secretary.

1943.

(April 10th) W. Bro. F. J. Jackson, J.P., P.G.D., greatly esteemed Assistant Prov. Grand Master, died after a long period of continued ill-health.

(June 2nd) An Especial Meeting of Grand Lodge held at Freemasons’ Hall, London, in celebration of the Installation of the Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood, K.G., as M.W. Grand Master, by H.M. The King, Past Grand Master. At this meeting several brethren received preferment in Grand Lodge, among whom was W. Bro. A.R. Adams, J.P., Prov. S.G.W., who was invested with the collar of PAGDC.

(July 22nd) W. Bro. Archibald Glen Duncan, M.D, PPGW, was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

(November 30th) The total amount contributed in response to the R.W. Prov. Grand Master’s appeal on behalf of the Royal Masonic Hospital was £11,382 3s. 3d.

1944.

(April 26th) W. Bro. Dr. A.G. Duncan, Assistant Provincial Grand Master, was invested as J.G.D. by the M.W., The Grand Master. The Jubilee Meetings of Ixion Lodge, No. 2501 (May 18th), Earl of Warwick Lodge, No. 2504 (March 9th), and Thomas Ralling Lodge, No. 2508 (April 22nd) were held in London each meeting being attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master.

(June 14th) The sum of £3,640 3s 6d was subscribed by Essex at the Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, which was the highest contribution from the Provinces.

(June 29th) Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge postponed to December 7th, owing to prevailing conditions of war.

1945.

(May 24th) Brig. J.L. French, C.B.E., Asst. Prov. Grand Master, appointed Third Prov. Grand Principal of Royal Arch Masons in Essex.

(June 9th) Jubilee Meeting of West Essex Lodge, No. 2561 at Chigwell, attended by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, and the M.E. Grand Superintendent.

(July 2nd) Jubilee Meeting of the Ixion Chapter, No. 2501, in London, attended by the M.E. Grand Superintendent and Third Prov. Grand Principal.

(July 7th) V.W. Bro. Major Sir Harry Goschen, Bart., K.B.E., D.L., Deputy Prov. Grand Master from 1932-35, passed away at his residence at Harlow, after a long period of ill-health.

(November 5th) The Lodge of Hope and Unity, No. 214, celebrated its Sesqui-Centenary at Freemasons’ Hall, London. The RW. ProvGMaster attended the meeting, accompanied by Executive Officers of the Province. W.Bro. Hugo R. Bird, PAGSuptWks, occupied the Chair, and a Paper was read on the History of the Lodge by W. Bro. F.T. Cramphorn, P.A.G.D.C. The Grand Secretary, V.W. Bro. Sydney A. White, attended the after proceedings.

1946.

(March 21st) The Essex Installed Mark Master’ Lodge, No. 1044, was consecrated in London by the R.W. Deputy Grand Master, Canon Frederick Halsey, M.A., R.W. Bro. Major A.J.O. Turner, PGM., was installed as the first Master.

(May 23rd) At the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Chapter the Presentation of his Portrait in oils, (by Mr. James Grant, R.E., R.P.)was made to the M.E. Grand Superintendent, Dr. F. Douglas Turner, C.B.E., on behalf of the Chapters (60) in his Province, as a token of affection and esteem, and in recognition of his many years’ service as Second Prov. Grand Principal and Grand Superintendent. He also accepted a Diamond Brooch for Mrs. Turner.

(June 4th) The R.W. Prov. Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, C.B., was invested as Senior Grand Warden in Mark Grand Lodge.

1947.

(April 30th) His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G., installed as Deputy Grand Master in succession to General Sir Francis Davies, K.C.B.

(April 30th) W. Bro. A.A.W. Simmonds, P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W., Provincial Grand Secretary, promoted to the rank of Past Junior Grand Deacon.

(May 7th) At the Annual Meeting of Mark Master Masons held at the Masonic Hall, Chingford, W. Bro. J.G. Freeman, P.G.D., was installed as Deputy Prov. Grand Master and W. Bro. James Lake, P.A.G.D.C., was appointed and invested Prov. Grand Secretary.

(May 24th) The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Harewood, K.G., M.W. Grand Master, passed away.

(September 15th) The Lodge of Hope, No. 433, celebrated its Centenary, at Brightlingsea. The R.W. Prov. Grand Master attended the Meeting, accompanied by W. Bro. Dr. A.G. Duncan, Asst. PGM., and presented the Centenary Warrant.

1948.

(January 28th) The 170th Lodge in the Province, Trueborn, No. 6554, was consecrated by the R.W. Prov. Grand Master, which entitled him to appoint a third Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

(March 23rd) His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G., installed as M.W. Grand Master by His Majesty King George VI, P.G.M., at the Royal Albert Hall.

(April 15th) W. Bro. The Rev. R. Stafford Morris, M.A., Prov. G. Chaplain, was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master at the Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, No. 3256, held at Freemasons’ Hall, London.

(April 26th) W. Bro. James Lake., PA.G.D.C., installed as Deputy Prov. Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province and W. Bro. P.V. Faning as Prov. Grand Secretary, at Chelmsford.

(June 9th) The M.W. Grand Master presided over the 150th Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys.

(July 10th) The Rev. F.E. Crate, Provincial Prior, passed away at his home at Aldham, Colchester.

1949.

(April 7th) W. Bro. Dr. John F. Taylor, P.G.D., P.P.G.W., was obligated, invested, and proclaimed Assistant Prov. Grand Master, at the meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, No. 3256, held at Freemasons’ Hall, London.

(May 6th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge celebrated its Fiftieth Anniversary at Southend-on-Sea, the R.W. Deputy Grand Master, Canon Frederick Halsey, M.A., being present.

(July 15th) Our highly esteemed Provincial Grand Master, RW.Bro. Brig.- Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, CB, CMG, DSO, passed away in the Royal Masonic Hospital and was buried at St. Osyth, Clacton-on-Sea, on the 20th July.

(September 15) W.Bro. P. V. Faning, PJGD, installed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Mark Masons in this Province, and W..Bro. L. E. Kirk as Prov Grand Secretary, at a special meeting held in London.

(December 15) Sir Frederick Senier, JP, PGD, installed as RW ProvGMaster by the MW Grand Master, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, KG, at a special meeting held at Freemasons Hall, London. The RW, Provincial Grand Master appointed Dr A. G. Duncan, as Deputy Provincial Grand and reappointed the Rev. R. Stafford Morris, MA, and Dr. John F. Taylor as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

1950

(July) The RW. Provincial Grand Master appointed W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA. as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(August 3) Our greatly esteemed R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Sir Frederick Senier, JP, died at his home at Leigh-on-Sea.

(September 27) W.Bro. S. A. Williams, M.A., P.A.G.D.C., P.P.G.W. obligated and invested Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Installation Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, at Freemason's Hall, London.

(September) Presentation of a Master's Chair by Sir Henry Floyd, Bart., C.B., in memory of his Uncle, our late Provincial Grand Master, Brig.-Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, C.B., placed in the Colvin Memorial Temple, Clacton-on-Sea .

(November 26) The death occurred of the MW. The Grand Master, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G.

1951.

(March 7) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, GCSI, GCIE, TD, elected MW. Grand Master; Rt. Hon. the Earl of Derby, M.C., appointed and invested RW. Deputy Grand Master.

(April 2nd) Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, ME, Grand Superintendent in and over the Province of Essex, appointed first Grand Inspector General of the newly created District of Essex in the Order of the Rose Croix.

(June 13) The 153rd Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, presided over by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov. Grand Master, in the absence, through ill-health, of Sir Frederic Senier, Prov. Grand Master. The grand Total subscribed was £205,010, of which £132,495 was contributed by Essex. There were 4,661 Stewards from the Province. The total list was the highest taken up for any of the Institutions this year.

1950

(July) The RW. Provincial Grand Master appointed W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA, as Assistant Prov. Grand Master.

(August 3) Our greatly esteemed R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Sir Frederick Senier, JP, died at his home at Leigh-on-Sea.

(September 27) W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA, PAGDC, PPGW. obligated and invested Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Installation Meeting of the Essex Masters Lodge, at Freemason's Hall, London.

(September) Presentation of a Master's Chair by Sir Henry Floyd, Bart, CB, in memory of his Uncle, our late Provincial Grand Master, Brig. Gen. K. Kincaid-Smith, C.B., placed in the Colvin Memorial Temple, Clacton-on-Sea.

(November 26) The death occurred of the M.W. The Grand Master, His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, K.G.

 

1951

(March 7) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, GCSI, GCIE, TD, elected M.W. Grand Master; Rt. Hon the Earl of Derby, MC, appointed and invested R.W. Deputy Grand Master.

(April 2nd) Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, ME, Grand Superintendent in and over the Province of Essex, appointed first Grand Inspector General of the newly created District of Essex in the Order of the Rose Croix.

(June 13) The 153rd Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, presided over by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov. Grand Master, in the absence, through ill-health, of Sir Frederic Senier, Prov. Grand Master. The grand Total subscribed was £205,010, of which £132,495 was contributed by Essex. There were 4,661 Stewards from the Province. The total list was the highest taken up for any of the Institutions this year.

(August 3) Our greatly esteemed R.W. Provincial Grand Master, Sir Frederic Senier, J.P., died at his home at Leigh-on-Sea.

(November 6th) The Rt. Hon. the Reel of Scarbrough, KG, GCSI, GCIE, TD, installed as M.W. Grand Master, by the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Derby, MC, at the Royal Albert Hall.

(December 5th) At a Special Investiture of Grand Lodge, to celebrate the Installation of the 51.W. Grand blaster, W.Bro. S. A. Williams, Asst. Prov. Grand Master, was promoted to the rank of P.G.D., and W.Bro. Albert Warriner, Prov. Asst. Grand Sec. to P.A.G.D.C., W .Bro S. Lukin was invested with the collar of PGStB.

1952

(February 16) The 200th Lodge in the Province, Colcestria No. 7123, was consecrated by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov Grand Master in Charge, at the Moot Hall, Colchester.

(March 29th) New Masonic Hall, Frinton-on-Sea, dedicated by W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Deputy Prov. Grand Master in Charge.

(June 16) W.Bro. Dr. John F Taylor, PGD, highly esteemed Asst. Prov. Grand Master, passed away after a long illness. A Memorial Service was held at Chelmsford Cathedral.

(October 14) The Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, P.G. Chaplain, installed as RW. Provincial Grand Master by the M.W. Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, K.G., at a Special Meeting at Freemasons' Hall, London. The Provincial Grand Master re-appointed W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, PGD, as Deputy Prov. Grand Master and W.Bro. S. A. Williams, MA, PGD, as Assistant Prov. Grand Master, and obligated and invested W.Bro. J. Crockford, MBE, PAGDC, and W. Bro. T. R. Boulton, PAGDC, as Assistant Prov. Grand Masters.

1953.

(March 13) W. Bro. Brig. J. L. French, C.B., P.G.D., Past Assistant Prov. Grand Master, died in South Africa. A Memorial Service was held at St. John's Church, Buckhurst Hill.

1954.

(April 28) At the Grand Festival W.Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, PGD, M.E. Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province, was invested with the Order of Service to Masonry by the M.W. Grand Master.

(June I) MW.Bro, Rt. Hon. Lord Harris, MC, VL, Installed as Grand Master in the Mark Degree in succession to the late Brig. Gen. W. H. V. Darell, CB, CMG, DSO.

1956

(March 22nd) At the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge, the Provincial Grand Master, RW.Bro. Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, appealed for funds to enable a Ward in the extension to the Royal Masonic Hospital to be named "Essex Ward."

(June 8th) The Provincial Grand Master visited the Masonic Hall, Harwich, and unveiled a plaque to commemorate the restoration of the Hall after the flood disaster.

(June 19th) A memorial tablet to the late W. Bro. Adam Partington, PAGDC, unveiled by the Provincial Grand Master, at the Masonic Temple in Woodgrange Drive, Southend-on-Sea.

(November 6) The death occurred of W. Bro. W. J. Slipper, PGD, a Freemason for over fifty years, Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies from 1928-1953, who had officiated at over one hundred Lodge and Chapter Consecrations.

1957.

(March 28) W. Bro. G. F. Chaplin, J.P., was obligated, invested and proclaimed Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at the annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge held at Freemasons' Hall, London.

(May 18) United Lodge, No. 697, celebrated its Centenary at the Moot Hall, Colchester. The meeting was attended by the RW. Provincial Grand Master, who presented the Centenary Warrant, the Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and other members of the Executive.

(May 24) The Masonic Temple, (Memorial to the late W. Bro. Adam Partington, PAGDC, PPGW, at Southend-on-Sea, was dedicated by the RW. Provincial Grand Master. The first Lodge to meet in the Temple was Essex Masters, No. 3256, on June 18th.

(June 14) RW. Bro. Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, Provincial Grand Master, was invested as Provincial Prior of the Provincial Priory of Essex.

(June 27) The 89th Festival of the Mark Benevolent Fund was presided over by RW.Bro. Major A. J. 0. Turner, TD, Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex. The total amount subscribed was £26,490, of which £10,596 was contributed by Essex.

(November 1) The death occurred of VW.Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, CBE, OSM, PGD, beloved Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province of Essex for twenty-two years. A Memorial Service was held at the Church of St. Mary at Wall, Colchester, on 11th November.

(November 27) Essex Masters Lodge No. 3256, celebrated its Ubilee at a special meeting held at Freemasons Hall, London.

1958

(February 8) W. Bro. T. Roger Boulton, P.G.D., highly esteemed Assistant Provincial Grand Master, died.

(March 12) The M.E. The First Grand Principal appointed E. Comp. Dr. A. G. Duncan, PAGSoj, as Grand Superintendent in and over the Royal Arch Province of Essex. (March 27) W. Bro. A. A. W. Simmonds, PGD, Provincial Grand Secretary for the past sixteen years, retired from that office. W. Bro. Albert Warriner, PAGDC, was appointed to succeed him, and W. Bro. H. H. England, PAGDC., as Provincial Assistant Grand Secretary.

(May 22) The Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, M.A., Provincial Grand Master, was installed Inspector General of Essex in the Rose Croix Degree, at Chelmsford. (November 13) E. Comp. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Second Provincial Grand Principal, installed as Grand Superin­tendent by the M. E. The First Grand Principal, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, K.G., at Freemason's Hall, London.

1959

(January 6) W. Bro. P. V. Faning, PAGDC., installed as Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex, and W. Bro. H. R. Dunnico, LL.D, JP, as Provincial Grand Secretary.

Provincial Grand Master, was invested as Provincial Prior of the Provincial Priory of Essex.

(June 27) The 89th Festival of the Mark Benevolent Fund was presided over by R.W. Bro. Major A. J. 0. Turner, TD, Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex. The total amount subscribed was (26,490, of which (10,596 was contributed by Essex.

(November 1) The death occurred of V.W. Bro. Dr. F. Douglas Turner, C.B.E., OSM, PGD, beloved Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province of Essex for twenty-two years. A Memorial Service was held at the Church of St. Mary at Wall, Colchester, on 11th November.

1961

(March 2) The death occurred in the Royal Masonic Hospital of RW.Bro. the Rev. Canon R. Stafford Morris, MA, our greatly esteemed Provincial Grand Master since 1952. The funeral service was held at Orsett Parish Church, of which he was Rector, and the Bishop of Chelmsford officiated.

(July 4) W.Bro. John Crockford, MBE, PGD, highly esteemed Assistant Provincial Grand Matter, died after a short illness.

1962

(January 24) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, D.L., .P., installed as R.W. Provincial Grand Master by the M.W. Grand Master, the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, at a Special Meeting at Freemasons' Hall, London. The Provincial Grand Master re-appointed Dr. A. G. Duncan, PGD., as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. S. A. Williams, M.A., PGD., and W.Bro. G. F. Chaplain, CBE, JP, PGD., as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(Marsh 22) W.Bro. Albert Warriner, PGD., Provincial Grand Secretary retired after four years in that office and sixteen years as assistant. W.Bro. H. H. England, PAGDC, was appointed to succeed hint.

(June 5) The V.E.Kt. L. J. Rivett was installed as Provincial Prior of Essex by the M.E. and Sup. Grand Master-the Rt. Hon. Lord Harris, MC, VL, at Southend.

(June 26) W.Bro. G. F. Chaplain, CBE, JP, PGD., Assistant Provincial Grand Master, had conferred on him the honour of Knight Bachelor by H.M. the Queen.

(Sept 26) W. Bro. W. H. Scanlan, FRIBA, FRICS, AGSWks, PPGW, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master, at a meeting of Essex blasters Lodge No. 3256.

(Nov 28) W.Bro. M. Woolf, PGD, PPGW, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master at a meeting of St. Andrew's Lodge No. 1817.

1963.

(May 8) RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon the Earl of Warwick, DL, Provincial Grand Master, presided over the 175th Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Girls. The total sum amounted to £392,383 of which Essen subscribed £262,790. The total was the second highest in the history of the Institution. Dr. A. G. Duncan, Grand Superintendent of the Royal Arch Province, took up a list totalling £11,012.

1964

( June 3) In his capacity as Treasurer, RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master, presided over the 166th Annual Festival of the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys. The Province subscribed £18,957 to the Chairman's List.

(June 30) V.E.Kt. Arthur A Murphy installed as Provincial Prior of Essex.

(October 6) RW.Bro’s. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Cadogan, Deputy Grand Master, and the Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master, attended the celebration of the Centenary of the Lodge of St. Peter, No. 1024.

1965

(February 24) The Province subscribed £13.990, the highest total of any Province, outside that of the Chairman. at the 123rd Festival of the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution.

(May 4) The celebration of the Centenary of Priory Lodge. No. 1000, was attended by the RW. Provincial Grand Master.

(June 3) V.III.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff, 33°. installed as Grand Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex.

1966

(March 24) W.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff, PAGStB, obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. S. A. Williams MA, PGD, having resigned that office.

(December 15) RW.Bro’s. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan. Deputy Grand Master and The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick. Provincial Grand Master, attended the celebration of the Bicentenary of the Lodge of True Friendship No. 160.

1967

(March 29) W.Bro. S. A. Williams. Assistant Provincial Grand Master. 1950-1966, died.

(May 1) The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, Provincial Grand Master opened the Thurrock Masonic 1 tall.

(June 14) H.R.H. the Duke of Kent, GCVO, ADC. elected as MW. Grand Master and The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Scarbrough, KG, GSCI, GCIE, GCVO, TD. appointed as Pro Grand Master.

(July 27) Especial Meeting of Grand Lodge held at the Royal Albert Hall on the occasion of the 250th Anniversary of the founding of the Premier Grand Lodge and for the Installation of H.R.H. the Duke of Kent as Grand Master.

Additional Honours—Craft and Royal Arch—were authorized by the M.W. the Grand Master to commemorate his installation. Those honoured by the RW. Prov. Grand Master were invested by him. For this purpose three special meetings were held - Colchester 15th December. Hutton 29th January and Chingford 30th January 1968.

1969

(March 12) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, MD., Deputy Provincial Grand Master. Grand Superintendent in and over the Royal Arch Province was invested with the M.W. Grand Master's Order of Service to Masonry.

A warrant having been granted to the 250th Lodge in Essex. (July 8) Warren Wood Lodge No. 8284. the Province became entitled to five Asst. Prov. G. Masters. At a meeting of Easterford Lodge. the RW. Prov. G. Master appointed and invested W.Bro. R. S. Buck. PAGDC, as Asst. Prov. G. Master.

1970

(January 15) W.Bro. H. Rathbone Dunnico, LL.D, JP, invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex.

 

1971

Culham College Lodge No. 2951 Warranted 1903 transferred to the Province of Oxfordshire.

(May 21) W.Bro. P. V. Faning, resigned from the office of Provincial Grand Master of the Mark Province of Essex.

(June 15) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM. resigned as Deputy Provincial Grand Master.

(June 17) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master appointed W.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow, MA, PAGDC, PPGW. as his deputy.

(Sept. 17) W.Bro. W. H. Scanlan, PJGD, Assistant Provincial Grand Master died.

(Sept. 23) The M.W. the Grand Master The Rt. Hon. the Lord Harris, installed RW.Bro. L. E. Kirk, PGW, as Provincial Grand Master at an especial meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge at Chelmsford. VW.Bro. H. R. Dunnico, LL.B., PGO, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. T. W. Howard, MA, PDepGDC, as Asst. Provincial Grand Master. (Nov. 25) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master invested W.Bro. T. W. Howard, MA, as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1972

(Feb. 26) Harlow Masonic Hall opened.

(April 26) W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM. promoted to PJ.G.W.

1973

(March 22) W.Bro. L. K. Corbett, PGStB, ProvAGSec, appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary, on the resignation of W.Bro. H. H. England.

(March 25) R. W.Bro. Dr. A. G. Duncan, OSM, PJGW, DepPGM, M. E. Grand Superintendent, in and over the Royal Arch Province, died.

(April 30) W.Bro. J. W. Deal, P.A.G.D.C., invested soar Assistant Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. Sir George Chaplin, P.S.G.D., having resigned.

(July 10) The Pro First Grand Principal, M. E. Comp. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan. installed E.Comp. F. W. R. Leistikow as M. E. Grand Superintendent, at a Special Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter. E.Comps. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff and H. H. England were invested as Second and Third Provincial Grand Principals respectively.

(July 25) E.Comp. Col. A. R. Kiggins, T.D., D.L., was appointed and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent.

1974

(May 29) The 132nd Annual Festival of the RMBI, presided over by the R.W. Provincial Grand Master. produced a total of £924,000. Essex provided £750,000 including £16,312 from the Royal Arch Province.

(June 12) W.Bro. the Rev. D. 0. R. Parry, PAGChap, PPGChap., appointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. M. Woolf, PSGD.

(June 15) RW.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick. DL, JP, resigned the office of Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow, PGSwdB, Deputy Provincial Grand Master, appointed to succeed him.

(June 30) After 13 years at 59, Palmerston Road, Buckhurst Hill, freehold premises at 19, The Crescent, Gants Hill, Ilford were purchased for use as Provincial offices.

(October 3) M. W.Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan, MC. DL, Pro.GM. Installed RW.Bro. F. W. R. Leistikow. MA, as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. W.Bro. Col. A. R. Kiggins, TD, DL, JP, appointed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. The APGMs were re­appointed.

1976

(March 25) At Annual Meeting W.Bro. H. J. C. George, PJGD, ProvSGW was obligated and invested as an A.P.G.M. to fill vacancy caused by the resignation of W.Bro. R. S. Buck, P.S.G.D.

(May 6) The Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Chapter was held at the Cliffs Pavilion, Westcliff-on-Sea. The first annual meeting held within the Province for 34 years.

(July 15) THE 200th ANNIVERSARY OF THE PROVINCE. The MW Pro. Grand Master the Rt. Hon. the Earl Cadogan, M.C., D.L., attended an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge at Freemasons' Hall, Great Queen Street. At this meeting the result of the Appeal of the R.W. Provincial Grand Master for the Redevelopment and Modernisation Fund of the Royal Masonic Hospital was announced. The total of £251,000 was acknowledged by the Chairman of the Fund, the Rt. Hon. the Lord Hewlett, Provincial Grand Master (East Lancashire). The meeting was preceded by a Service of Thanksgiving at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre E.C. and was followed by dinner at the Connaught Rooms. Further to mark the occasion, a history of the Province by W.Bro. K. S. Buck, PAGDC, was published.

(September) W.Bro. K. C. Brown, P.A.G.D.C., was obligated and invested as an additional Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the alteration of Rule 67(B.C.).

(October 29) The M.W. Grand Master, H.R.H. The Duke of Kent opened the St. Giles Masonic Centre, Colchester.

1978

(March 29) W.Bro. F. C. Hughes was obligated and invested as an Assistant Pro, Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. S. G. C. Frohnsdorff.

(May 10) Essex supported the RMIG Festival presided over by the RW PGM for Warwickshire to the extent of £26,972.

(July 18) The M.W. Grand Master The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Stradbroke installed RW.Bro. T. W. Howard, OBE, as Provincial Grand Master at an especial meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. VW.Bro. N. T. Clarke, PGO. was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. 0. S. Burton, PGStwd. as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(December 14) The Essex Provincial Grand Stewards Chapter No.8665 was consecrated by the M.E. Grand Supt. This is the first Chapter of its kind and the 100th Chapter on the roll of the Province.

1979

(March 22) W.Bro. J. Gemmill was obligated and invested as an Asst. Prov. G. Master on the resignation of W.Bro. T. W. Howard.

1980

(Feb. 21) The Pro. Grand Master, MW.Bro. The Earl Cadogan, MC, RW.Bro. Viscount Chelsea PGW, RW.Bro. Sir James Stubbs, KCVO, Grand Sec., VW.Bro. A. Ferris, GDC, W.Bro. Comdr. M. B. S. Higham, RN, DepGSec, attended the Eton Manor Lodge at Harlow.

(Mar. 8) Extension to the Howard Hall, Braintree opened by the RW. Prov.G.Master.

(Mar. 27) The strength of the Province now being over 280 Lodges, the RW. Prov.G.Master appointed and invested W.Bro. G. Y. Jerman, LLB, ProvGDC, as an additional APGM.

1981

(March 26) W.Bro. R.E. Evans was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. K. C. Brown.

(Mar. 30) The Old Court House, Rochford, purchased for use as a Masonic Hall.

(Aug. 1) 111.Bro. Major A.E.W. Legg, appointed as Grand Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex.

1982

(March 25) W.Bro. K.J. White was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master on the resignation of W.Bro. H .C.J. George.

(September 29th) W.Bro. A. S. J. Cross, J.P., P.A.G.D.C., P.P.S.G.W., appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary on the retirement of W.Bro. L. K. Corbett, PJGD.

1983

(January 15th) VW.Bro. Col. A. R. Kiggins, T.D., J.P., D.L., Deputy Provincial Grand Master died. A memorial service was held at Chelmsford Cathedral on 26th January.

(March 24th) W.Bro. G.Y. Jerman, P.S.G.D., was obligated and invested Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. L.K. Corbett, P.J.G.D., was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master at the Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge.

(May 5th) E. Comp. G.Y. Jerman was appointed and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent. E. Comp. A.S.J. Cross appointed Provincial Grand Scribe E.

(November 6th) Extension to Witham Masonic Hall opened.

1984

(January 20th) R.W. Bro. The Rt. Hon. the Earl of Warwick, D.L., J.P., Past Provincial Grand Master died.

(March 28th) W.Bro. The Rev. D. O. R. Parry, PDepGChap, APGM died.

(April 12th) W.Bro. F.C. Hughes, PSGD, APGM died.

(Aug. 1st) Ill Bro. N.T. Clarke appointed as Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex following the resignation through ill health of V. III Bro. Major A.E.W. Legg.

(Sept. 26th) W. Bro. F.A. Thornback PAGDC, ProvGDC, and W. Bro. R. G. Eggleton PAGDC, PPSGW, were obligated and invested as APGMs at a meeting of Essex Masters Lodge No. 3256. W. Bro. J.M, Webb PAGDC, PPDepGDC, was also invested as ProvGDC.

(Nov. 30th) V. 111 Bro. N.T. Clarke installed as Inspector General of the Rose Croix District of Essex at Grays.

1985

(June 5th) The R.W. Provincial Grand Master presided over the Festival for the Royal Masonic Institution for Boys. The Festival produced it total 0(0.022.390; Essex provided £2,794,175. including £60.954 from the Royal Arch Province.

1985

(October 24th) The 300th Lodge in the Province, Frederick Leistikow Lodge No. 9143. was Consecrated by the Pro Grand Master. the Rt Hon. Lord Cornwallis, 0.B.E.. D.L., at the Memorial Temple. Southend-on-Sea.

1985.

(December 31st) R.W. Bro. F.W.R. Leistikow, MA. resigned the office of Provincial Grand Master. V.W. Bro. G.Y. Jerman, LL.B.. PGSwdB, appointed to succeed him.

1986.

(January 16th) The R.W. Deputy Grand Master. The Hon. Edward Latham Bailleu, installed RW.Bro. G. Y. Jerman. LL.B.. as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. W.Bro. F. A. Thornback, PSGD, appointed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. The A.P.G.M.s were re-appointed. W.Bro. P.C. Neivens, PAGSwdB, appointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. The 2nd Grand Principal, The Hon. Edward Latham Baillieu, installed E.Comp G.Y. Jerman, LL.B., as M.E. Grand Superintendent at an Especial Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter. E.Comp. F.A. Thorn-back. PGStdB, appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent. The Principals were re-appointed.

1986

(March 20th) W.Bro. D. Scott, PGStdB, PPSGD, appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary. on the retirement of W.Bro. A. S. J. Cross, JP, PAGDC.

(May 14th) E.Comp. C.W. Key, P.A.G.D.C., and E.Comp. S. Conway-Lee. PGStB, appointed 2nd and 3rd Principals respectively. at the annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter.

E.Comp D. Scott, PPAGSoj, appointed Provincial Grand Scribe E.. on the retirement of E.Comp. A. S. J. Cross. JP, PGStdB.

(June 10th) RW.Bro. T. W. Howard. 0BE, appointed and invested as Assistant Grand Master in the Mark Degree.

(November 25th) RW.Bro N. T. Clarke was invested as Provincial Grand Master at an especial meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. W.Bro L. A. G. Carr, PGJ0, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. and W.Bro J. W. Deal. PAGDC, as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1987

(March 26th) W.Bro A. S. J. Cross. PAGDC, PPSGW, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master. following the retirement of W.Bro J. W. Deal.

1988

(March 24th) W.Bro Rev, S. Conway-Lee, PAGChap, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W.Bro L. K. Corbett.

(May. 5th) E. Comp G. E. Thurlow. PGStB, was obligated and invested as Third Provincial Grand Principal. following the retirement of E.Comp S. Conway-Lee.

(June 10th) RW. Bro. TW Howard, 0.B.E, appointed and invested as Assistant Grand Master in the Mark Degree.

(November 25th) R.W. Bro. NI Clarke was invested as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. W. Bra LAG. Carr, RGJ.0., was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, and W Bra J.W. D., PAG.D.C., as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

1990

(March 22nd) W.Bro J.M. Webb, PAGDC, ProvGDC, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W. Bro. J. Gemmill.

W Bro. J.P. Rundlett, PAGDC, PPSGD was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master, following the retirement of W. Bro. A. S. J. Cross.

W.Bro. A. V. G. Croucher, PAGDC, PPDepGDC, was appointed Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

(May 17th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge; W.Bro J. W. Deal, PAGDC, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of VW.Bro. L. A. G. Carr, RGJO, and W.Bro. J. A. Wright, PDepGDC. was invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. R. J. Emery was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

1991

(March 21st) W Bro F. A. D. Harris PJGD, PPSGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W. Bro. R. E. Evans, PSGD.

(September 30th) W.Bro A. E. Kemp, PAGDC, PPJGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. P. C. Neivens, PSGD.

1992

(March 26th) W Bra L. E. Williams, PGStB, PPSGD, was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. K. J. White PSGD.

(June 24th) An Especial Meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge was held to commemorate the 275th Anniversary of Grand Lodge.

(September 30th) W. Bro. KA. Harvey, PPAGDC, was invested as Provincial Grand Secretary following the retirement of W.Bro. D. Scott, PJGD, due to ill-health.

(November 26th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark Lodge. RW.Bro. J.W. Deal was invested as Provincial Grand Master, VW.Bro. J. A. Wright, PGJ0, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and VW. Bro. Derek Baum, PJGO, and W.Bro. R. I. Emery, PAGDC, were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(November 30th) E.Comp. K. A. Harvey, PPGSoj, was invested as Provincial Grand Scribe E, following the retirement of E Comp. D. Scott, PAGDC.

(December 14th) The Provincial Office moved to 2, Station Court, Station Approach, Wickford, after 18 years at 19, The Crescent, Gant Hill, Ilford.

1993

(February 3rd) R.W. Bro. F.W.R Leistikow, MA Past Provincial Grand Master died. A memorial service was held at the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Loughton, on March 1st.

(March 25th) W. Bro. PC Neivens, O.B.E., OEM., PS.G.D., was re-obligated and re-invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W. Bro. R.G. Eggleton, P.S.G.D.

W.Bro. M. S. Hogg, PGStB. was obligated and invested as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Rev. D. S. Conway-Lee, PSGD.

(May 6th) E Comp. A. E. Simons, PGStB, was obligated and invested as third Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E Comp G.E. Thurlow, PAGSoj.

(June 16th) The inaugural reception for WMS and first Principals was held at the Heybridge Hotel, Ingatestone.

(August 23rd) Computerised Provincial Annual Returns were for the first time sent to all Royal Arch Chapters in the Province of Essex.

1994

(February 28th) The sad death occurred of W. Bro. D. Scott, Provincial Grand Secretary(1986-1992).

(June 24th) W. BE J.P. Rundlett, P.S.G.D., A.PG.M., was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master to succeed VW Bro. F. A. Thomback, PGSwdB.

Similarly, E. Comp., J. P. Rundlett, PAGDC, was appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent to succeed E. Comp., F. A. Thornback, PGSwdB.

Following the resignation of W. Bro. L. E. Williams, PSGD, APGM, W.Bro. A. V. G. Croucher, PAGDC, ProvGDC, and W.Bro. C. G. Williams PGStB, were appointed Assistant Provincial Grand Masters to fulfil the establishment of the Province. W.Bro P.E. Holland, PAGDC was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

1995

(March 19th) The sad death occurred of W.Bro. L.K. Corbett, PSGD, APGM, (1983-1988), Prov. Grand Secretary (1973-1982)

(March 31st) RW.Bro./E.Comp. G.Y. Jerman, LLB., retired as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent respectively.

(April 1st) RW.Bro./E.Comp. Lt.Col. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL., was appointed as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent respectively.

(June 5th) The R.W. Deputy Grand Master, lain Ross Bryce, TD., installed RW.Bro. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL, as Provincial Grand Master at an Especial Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. W.Bro. P.C. Neivens, OBE., QPM., PSGD., was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W.Bros. J. M. Webb, PSGD., F. A. D. Harris, PSGD., A. E. Kemp, PSGD., M. S. Hogg, PSGD., A. V. G. Croucher, PSGD., and C. G. Williams, PGStB., were reappointed as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. W.Bro. Dr. S. C. Emerick, PAGDC., was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master. The Second Grand Principal, E.Comp. lain Ross Bryce, TD., installed E.Comp. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE., TD., DL, as M.E. Grand Superintendent at the Annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter.

E.Comp. P. C. Neivens, OBE, QPM, PAGSoj., was appointed DepGSupt. E.Comp. C. W. Key, PAGSoj., was re-appointed Second Prov. G Principal. E.Comp. A.E. Simons, PGStB., was re-appointed Third Prov. G. Principal

1996

(May 9th) The MW The Grand Master, HRH the Duke of Kent, visited Essex and met a selection of Worshipful Masters and MEZ’s at Braintree.

(June 6th) E.Comp. G. G. Sanders was appointed Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in the Royal Arch following the retirement of E.Comp. T. F. Wauer.

(June 12th) Essex Provincial Grand Mark. RW.Bro. J.W. Deal Provincial Grand Master retired.

(September 1st) The first edition of “In House” typesetting of the Essex Handbook.

(September 26th) RW.Bro. R. J. Emery was invested as Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. J.A. Wright, P.G.J.0. was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. VW.Bro. Derek Baum, P.G.J.0. and W.Bro. D.H. Jennings, P.S.G.D. were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters and W.Bro. R. I. Purkis, PGSD. was invested as Provincial Grand Secretary.

On 31st October at Mark Masons' Hall, London. The Cryptic Division of Essex and Hertfordshire was separated into two Districts. RW.Bro. Derek Baum, was Installed as the first District Grand Master of Essex.

1997

(March 14th) W.Bro. C. J. Bradley, PGStB. was obligated and Invested as the 8th APGM, in Essex.

(June 5th) E.Comp. C. W. Key, PAGSoj. was obligated and invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent. E.Comp. A. E. Simons was appointed Second Prov. G. Principal and E.Comp. V. J. Souster as Third Provincial G. Principal.

(July 27th) Inaugural Craft Church Service held at Chelmsford Cathedral.

(November 20th) The sad death occurred of RW.Bro. J. W. Deal Past Provincial Grand Master.

1998

(January 27th) The sad death occurred of RW.Bro. R. J. Emery Provincial Grand Master of Essex Mark

(March 26th) Following the retirement of W.Bro. A.E. Kemp, PSGD, W.Bro. B. H. Procter, PAGDC was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(May 15th) RW.Bro. J. Alan Wright was invested as Provincial Grand Master. of the Mark Province of Essex, VW.Bro. Derek Baum, PGJ0, was invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. D. H. Jennings, PGSD, and W.Bro. R.C. Fewster, PSGD, were invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters.

(June 4th) E.Comp A. E. Kemp. PAGSoj was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp. A.E. Simons, PAGSoj.

(October 25th) In addition to the Chelmsford Service a divine service was held at the Synagogue Westcliff on Sea.

1999

(January 20th) Official Opening by MW. The Grand Master of the nineteenth RMBI Home, Prince Edward Duke of Kent Court, Stisted, Braintree.

(March 25th) Following retirement of W. Bro. Dr. S. C. P. Emerick as APGM, W. Bro. P.E. Holland, PAGDC, was obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(June 3rd) E.Comp A. E. Kemp, PAGSoj. was appointed Deputy Grand Superintendent following the retirement of E.Comp. C. W. Key PGSwdB. E.Comp V. J. Souster, PAGSoj was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal following the promotion of E.Comp A. E. Kemp, PAGSoj. E.Comp R. J. Ockendon, PAGSoj was appointed Third Provincial Grand Principal following the promotion of E.Comp V. J. Souster, PAGSoj.

2000

(March 27th) The 154th Annual Festival of the RMBI, presided over by RW.Bro. Col. Sir Neil Thorne, OBE, TD, DL, raised a total of 7.1 million pounds. The Gala was attended by over 1350 people.

(June 29th) Following the retirement of VW.Bro P.C. Neivens, OBE, QPM as Deputy Provincial Grand Master, W.Bro. C. J. Bradley was obligated and invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bros. A. B. Garner and V. J. Souster were obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. E.Comp F. A. D. Harris retired as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master and was appointed Second Provincial Grand Principal. E.Comp S. A. Gane was appointed Third Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp. R.J. Ockendon. E.Comp. A.J. Helliar was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals.

(30th August) The first daylight Lodge in Essex was consecrated at Colchester.

(September 3rd) First direct mailing of the Essex Mason to every brother in the Province of Essex.

2001

(January 30th) The RW Provincial Grand Master was pleased to consecrate Essex Millennium Lodge No. 9729 at the meeting held at Chingford

(March 12th) Since the launch a total of 18,000 "teddies" have found their way to Accident and Emergency departments of all major hospitals within the County. So many parents have taken the time to express their gratitude at the caring gesture made by the Freemasons of the Province which has brought comfort to the children at a time of trauma.

(March 22nd) Following the retirement of W.Bros. J. M. Webb and M. S. Hogg, W.Bros. G. G. Sanders and W. M. A. Gunary were obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. W.Bro. C. H. Thorns succeeded W.Bro. G. G. Sanders as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

(21st June) At the Annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter E.Comp. M. D. Withams and E.Comp J. E. R. Robertson were appointed as Assistants to the Provincial Grand Principals to replace E.Comp. W. M. A. Gunary and E.Comp R. D. Knott .

A promotions meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge was held in the afternoon to which each promotee was invited to bring a non-Masonic guest.

(October 26th) A truly moving occasion took place at Saffron Walden when the RW Provincial Grand Master officially opened the restored Freemasons' Hall, following the tragic event of July 1999, when the former was almost totally destroyed by fire. The RW Provincial Grand Master paid tribute to the resolve and fortitude of those whose determined efforts had resulted in this raising from the ashes.

(12th December) Regrettably, at the Quarterly Communications of Grand Lodge, it was reported that Seven Pillars Lodge No. 5760 had surrendered its Warrant. The total number of Lodges within the Province remains at 324.

2002

It was disappointing that during the year we saw the erasure of Hornbeam Lodge No.6382.

(June 6th). At the Annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter E.Comp. F. A. D. Harris retired as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal and the M.E. Grand Superintendent was please to appoint E.Comp. S. A. Gane to succeed him. E.Comp. K. J. Elmes was appointed 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and E.Comp. C.K. Huddlestone as Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals group RA01.

(September 10th) The Consecration by the RW Provincial Grand Master, of the Lodge of Universal Friendship No.9759 at Southend.

(November 25th) The Consecration by the RW Provincial Grand Master, of Lux Beata Lodge No 9761 at Thurrock. Iwo further events of note took place, during the year; the Centenary meetings of Chingford Lodge No2859, and Westcliff Lodge No 2903. Each was attended by the RW Provincial Grand Master and a full retinue of Provincial officers.

V.ILL.Bro. M. D. Withams was appointed Inspector General of the newly formed District of North Essex in the Rose Croix.

2003

(27th March) The Province was honoured by the presence of the M.W. Pro. Grand Master The Most Hon. The Marquess of Northampton at the Annual meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge. This being the first occasion that he had attended any Provincial Grand Lodge. Following the retirement of VW.Bro. C. J. Bradley, W.Bro. B. H. Procter was obligated and invested as Deputy Provincial Grand Master. W.Bro. C. G. Williams also retired and W.Bros. A. J. Helliar and J. E. R. Robertson were obligated and invested as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. W.Bro. P. B. Humphrey succeeded W.Bro. C. H. Thoms as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

(June 5th). At the Annual Convocation of Provincial Grand Chapter E.Comp. S.A. Gane retired as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal and the M.E. Grand Superintendent was please to appoint E.Comp. K. J. Elmes to succeed him. E.Comp. M. D. Withams was appointed 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and E.Comps. G. B. Jarrett, C. H. Thoms and P. H. King as Assistants to the Provincial Grand Principals.

During the course of the year the number of Lodges administered by the Province increased from 325 to 329.

Apart from the Grays and Orsett Daylight Lodge No.9766, Consecrated at Thurrock on 22nd April 2003, three Lodges namely, Lodge of United Progress No. 6992, Leyton Grange Park No.5473 and Leyton St. John's No.4860 removed from London to Essex. The Provincial Grand Master and members of the Executive were honoured and privileged to participate at the Centenary Celebrations of Richard Clowes Lodge No 2936, Frituna Lodge No 2949. and Comrades Lodge No 2976 which were held, during the year, at Chelmsford, Frinton on Sea. and Colchester respectively

Pishon Chapter 6458 joined the Province from London.

Donald Jennings was appointed District Grand Master of the Order of Royal and Select Masters.

2004

(9th February) Braintree St George became the 330th Lodge in the Province when it was consecrated at Braintree.

(2nd March) Our much beloved Provincial Grand Secretary/Grand Scribe W.Bro. Kenneth Harvey, PJGD died.

(18th March) HRH The Duke of Kent dedicated the improvements to Chelmsford Cathedral and unveiled the plaque which recognises the contribution of £240,000 made by Essex Masons to the project.

(25th March) W.Bro. Sydney Gane was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro Allan Croucher, PSGD.

(1st May) W.Bro Andrew Bishop, PAGDC was appointed as Provincial Grand Secretary/Provincial Grand Scribe E. (2nd September) E.Comp Brian Procter, PGStB was appointed and Invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent following the appointment of E.Comp Allan Kemp to be Inspector General for the Rose Croix district of South Essex.

(30th June) RWy Bro Walter Hall appointed Provincial Grand Supreme Ruler for Essex of the OSM.

(2nd September) Following the retirement of E.Comp Allan Kemp as Deputy Grand Superintendent E.Comp Brian Procter, PGStB was obligated and Invested as Deputy Grand Superintendent.

(20th October) Consecration of Upminster Daylight Lodge No. 9788.

(22nd October) Consecration of Lux Solis Lodge No. 9781.

(14th December) Eastbury Manor Lodge No. 6038 handed in its warrant due to a continually declining membership and lack of prospective candidates.

(20th December) Centenary of the Star in the East Chapter.

2005

(6th January) Consecration of the Wakering an Barling Lodge No. 9790.

(17th March) W.Bro. Clifford Thoms was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Alan Gamer.

(30th March) Centenary of Roding Lodge No.3090.

(18th April) at Freemasons Hall, Great Queen Street, London, Right Illustrious Companion John Alan Wright was installed as the new Grand Master of the Masonic Order of Royal and Select Masters.

(5th June) Orange-Aid weekend raises in excess of £25,000 for a new inshore lifeboat.

(21st June) Centenary Walden Chapter No 1280.

(25th June) Centenary Canute Lodge No 3104.

(12th July) Centenary St Chadd Lodge No 3115.

(16th July) Centenary Mark Lockwood Lodge No 3114.

(22nd August) Consecration of the Daylight Lodge of Hutton No 9806.

(31st August) Col. Sir Neil Thome retires as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent after ten years service to the Province of Essex.

(1st September) RW.Bro. John Michael Webb is installed as Provincial Grand Master and Grand Superintendent in and over Essex by the Most Hon, the Marquess of Northampton in an especial meeting at Great Queen Street.

W.Bro. Peter Holland is appointed as Deputy Provincial Grand Master and W.Bro. Alan Everard as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master. E.Comp. Allan Kemp is re-appointed as Deputy Grand Superintendent.

(11th October) 150th Anniversary of Star in the East Lodge No 650.

2006

(4th January) First meeting at Saxon Hall Southend following the sale of Woodgrange Drive.

(23rd March) W.Bro. Kenneth Birnie was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Victor Souster. W.Bro. Nigel Catchpole was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies following the retirement of W.Bro. Paul Humphrey.

(5th April) Consecration of the Chapter of True Friendship No 160 at Saxon Hall Southend

(19th April) R.ILL.Kt Geoffrey Jackson installed as Intendant General for Essex. R.III.Kt. Robin Fagence installed as his deputy. (8th June) Dedication of the new Masonic Temple at Southend.

(27th June) Centenary of the Seven Kings Chapter No 2749 at Thurrock Masonic Hall.

(3rd July) Consecration of the Upminster Daylight Chapter.

(20th July) Dedication of the new Masonic Temple at Fronton.

(7th September) E.Comp. Michael Withers was appointed as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp Ken Elm.. E.Comp. Ian Gorman was appointed as 3rd Provincial Grand Principal following the promotion of E.Comp Michael Withers. E.Comps Bernard Willis and Leonard Davies were appointed as Assistants to the Provincial Grand Principals following the retirement of E.Comps Keith Huddlestone and Paul King.

(26th October) Lodge Boadica celebrated its centenary.

(17th November) Consecration of Rochford Kindred Daylight Lodge No 9820 at Southend.

2007

(16th March) Consecration of the West Essex Meridan Lodge No 9821 at Southend.

(22nd March) W.Bro. Jim McCreadie was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Bill Gunary.

(31st March) Installation of RW Bro. Michael Spencer as Provincial Grand Master of Mark Master Masons following the retirement of RW Bro Alan Wright

(20th April) Peter Budge appointed as Provincial Prior following the retirement of Ron Gatehouse.

(6th September) E Comp Frank Sharp appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals following the appointment of E Comp Jim McCreadie as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master.

(2nd November) The North Essex Masters' Lodge 9871 was consecrated.

(27th November) Essex Masters' Lodge 3256 celebrated its centenary and was honoured with the presence of Lord Northampton 2008

2008

(28th March) W.Bro. John Davies was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Sydney Gane.

(4th September) E.Comp. Ian Gorman was appointed as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal following the retirement of E.Comp Michael Withams. E.Comp. Glyn Jarrett was appointed as 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and E.Comp. Paul Tarrant was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies. E.Comp Michael Johnson was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals

(5th December) Crowstone Lodge 3298 celebrated its centenary.

2009

(18th March) lngrebourne Lodge 3345 celebrated its centenary

(26th March) W.Bro. Alan Clark was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Gordon Sanders.

(10th June) Shurmur Lodge 2374 surrendered its Warrant

(3rd September) E.Comp. Ian Gorman was appointed as Deputy Grand Superintendent following the retirement of E.Comp Allan Kemp. E.Comp. Glyn Jarrett was appointed as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal, E.Comp. Len Davies was appointed as 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and E.Comp. Jeffrey Conway was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals.

2010

(22nd May) Raymond Clam installed as Head of the Allied Degrees at Southend Masonic Centre. Brain Wren installed as his deputy.

(17th June) Harlow Chapter 2734 celebrated its Centenary.

(29th June) Brian Wren installed as the Head of the Red Cross of Constantine at Southend Masonic Centre. John Greenwood installed as his deputy.

(10th July) St Chad Chapter 3115 celebrated its Centenary.

(2nd September) E.Comp. Len Woolmer was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals following the retirement of E.Comp. Bernard Willis.

(October) Appointment of R.Wy.Bro. Barry Clarke as Provincial Supreme Grand Ruler (OSM) for Essex.

2011

(25th June) The Essex Festival 2011 for the Grand Charity reached its climax with the Festival Dinner at London's Guildhall. The RW Provincial Grand Master was very proud and honoured to announce the record sum for the Grand Charity £5,502,833 having been raised by our Province with the Royal Arch, contributing over £450,000 to this outstanding figure.

(20th July) Creation and Consecration of new Provincial Senitus for Essex with Right Distinguished Companion Raymond G. Fretten appointed as the first Provincial Grand Summus.

(1st September) Following the retirement of E.Comp Glyn Jarrett, E.Comp. Len Davies was appointed as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal, E.Comp. Frank Sharp was appointed as 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and E.Comp. Ken Montgomery was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals.

(29th September) W.Bro. Laurie Justice was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. John Helliar.

(4th November) W.Bro. Rodney Bass was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. John Robertson.

2012

(22nd March) W.Bro. Nigel Catchpole was appointed as an Assistant Provincial Grand Master following the retirement of W.Bro. Ken Bimie. W.Bro. Paul Reeves was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies.

(5th July) R.111.Comp. John J Jacobson appointed district Grand Master of the Royal and Select Masters.

(6th September) Following the sad death of E.Comp. Michael Johnson, E.Comp. Clive Rees was appointed as an Assistant to the Provincial Grand Principals. E.Comp. Nicholas Franklin was appointed as Provincial Grand Director of Ceremonies in the Royal Arch.

2013

(14th March) R.Wy Bro Stephen Ayres Installed as Provincial Supreme Grand Ruler Order of the Secret Monitor for Essex

(9th May) R.E.Kt Anthony John Helliar Installed as Provincial Prior.

(5th Septeber) Following the retirements of EComp Len Davies as 2nd Provincial Grand Principals and EComp Len Woolmer as an APGP. EComp Frank Sharp was appointed as 2nd Provincial Grand Principal, EComp Kenneth Montgomery was appointed 3rd Provincial Grand Principal and EComps Eric Broadbent and David Branch were appointed as Assistants to the Provincial Grand Principal.

2014

(27th March) Following the retirements of WBros Clifford Thoms and Alan Everard as Assistant Provincial Grand Masters. WBros Robert Whittingham and Peter Hammond were appointed to replace them.

(12th June) R.Ill.Kt. John Simons was installed as the head of the Red Cross of Constantine.